Sunday, April 26, 2015

Freezing Homemade Green Juice


My husband & I have been drinking homemade green juice every weekday morning for the past several months.  I love that gives us energy to face the day, and we control the quality & freshness of the ingredients.  When a friend recently suggested freezing it, I couldn't believe I hadn't already thought of the idea!  Making a large batch all at once and cleaning my juicer once a week instead of every morning?  Count me in!

Disclaimer:  I am aware that freezing juice may affect some of the nutrients that it contains... but I'm of the opinion that freezing my own freshly made juice is still much better than buying something store bought, and it's such a huge time saver on busy mornings!

Our favorite recipe (to serve 2 people) includes
1 generous handful spinach
2-3 kale leaves
1 handful parsley
2 stalks celery
2-3 carrots
2 whole tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cucumber

I personally think this blend is delicious and tastes a lot like V-8 juice!  You could also add some lemon juice to add a bit of tartness, or an apple if you prefer a little more sweetness.

I made enough juice for 4 days, and poured it into large mason jars leaving enough space for expansion when freezing.  To thaw, I just placed a frozen jar of juice in a bowl of cold water overnight.  By morning, it was ready.

By the way, if you're interested in knowing which juicer we use, it's this one.  It's amazing, and doesn't require me to peel any of the ingredients, which is another big time saver.

2 comments:

  1. This is fascinating! Does it keep you full until lunchtime? So healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually eat a little something a couple of hours later, so I wouldn't say it keeps me full until lunch, but it's a great start!

    ReplyDelete

RatingWidget