Thursday, December 11, 2014

Apple Butter

To make apple butter, start by making apple sauce.  You can find my recipe at:  http://freezermealexchange.blogspot.com/2011/10/red-hot-applesauce.html  Leave out the red hots.  You can also start with store bought applesauce.

Put the following in a crock pot:

4 quarts applesauce
1 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 cup sugar (This can be changed to your taste.  I don't like mine overly sweet.  My mom likes it with no sugar.  Store bought apple butter has much more sugar than this.)

Fill to within 1 inch of top of crock pot.  Cover loosely and put towels around for splatter.  Cook overnight.  I have an old crock pot and I have to put mine on High for it to cook this down.  I bet with newer crock pots, Low would be better. 

The next morning, add 1 1/2 to 2 quarts more applesauce and another cup of sugar.  Cook for a couple of more hours to mix the flavors. 

Makes about 14 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RatingWidget